Thursday, March 24, 2011

Did this get harder or am I imagining it?

So today I went back to my field placement for the first time in 2 weeks and boy was it intense. I honestly think that some of the kids didn't remember my name when I first walked in (yikes) but quickly seemed excited to see me none the less. I learned that we had a new student, which is the first to come in the middle of my time at the school. The new student was so excited and so new to school. He did not understand lines, yelled out in the hall, and hit other students on accident. During our 5 minutes alloted outside, he ran off to the other playground and I spent an extra 5 minutes chasing him around the monkey bars. I was exhausted by 9:30 and it really made me realize how much work my mentor teacher put into the class in the first couple of months of school.
As the day went on, I got back into the swing of things. While the kids were at specials I helped my MT rearrange the room for the new theme: GARDENING! I just started my own garden this weekend and I couldn't be more excited to be covering this theme in my classroom. My MT also said that this is her favorite unit of the entire year and we're both really excited. As I was helping her decorate the room, I noticed a plan bulletin board with a few sheets of paper tacked to it. I asked her if she would mind if I decorated the bulletin board for our new theme and she laughed and said that she could tell that I wanted a craft to do. By the end of the day, I was exhausted from the kids but eager to do my bulletin. I went to the new teacher store I had heard so much about and spent a half hour walking around admiring all of the things I wanted to buy one day. I went home and let all of my frustrations from the day be channeled into energy for my bulletin board. I think that's how you know you're a teacher :) I just finished it and can't wait to show my teacher tommorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you take a picture of the board and post it! I'm excited to hear how you study this topic with the kids. Will you be writing anything?

    By the way, I do think that this is a restless time for lots of kids. (Maybe especially for one who is moving so far into the school year.) I'm glad you have a way to channel that into something artistic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, my kids are really advancing and this week in writer's workshop I'm going to have them write about and draw things that they like to do in Spring. I created books for them last week and this week they will put their entries in the books :)

    ReplyDelete